Monday, October 29, 2007

The Irony of Sport

Why? If I didn't know better I would assume that I was going crazy. If I didn't know FOR A FACT that I was not the only one, I would think I'd lost my mind.

It hit me. Just last night. As I sat in my bathtub, clad in naught but a threadbare speedo, fighting off the chills that coursed through my body every time I shifted my position. Yes, I was in an ice bath. After a very solid weekend of training I had decided to give my legs a "treat" and jump in an ice bath Sunday night. My battered muscles may have appreciated the generous offer but the rest of me wasn't so sure. It was as I sat there contemplating the amount of training I'd been doing which had left me for the most part exhausted, that I realized the absurdity of my situation. Here I was, a perfectly sound, normal, healthy young man, rising at ridiculous hours every morning to go beat his body into shape. Not just shape mind you, but GOOD shape. No, I can't just stop at being "in shape" I have to be better, stronger, faster. No performance is good enough. There is always room for improvement.

And then I realized something else. Not only was I taking pride in the amount of pain I could inflict on myself. But I was paying someone else to TELL me how to inflict more pain on myself!! Crazy!!

And yet, I am not alone. Sadly there are more poor souls out there just like me. There are in fact thousands of us possessed by this strange force that compels us to push ourselves to the limit. Day in, and day out. Some of them they call pro's, some age-groupers, some mom, dad, uncle, boss, friend. It doesn't really matter what we're called. But we're out there, and our numbers are growing every day. Scary, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Humans are strange, aren't we?

I think it's more a showcasing of human willpower to do what it takes to get in top physical condition. It demonstrates devotion and commitment. It shows persistance and perseverance.

Competetion is also a motive that drives people.

And girls like buff guys.

10 days till the mudrun.