Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Break





Thanksgiving is almost upon us. This has to be one of my favourite holidays. (Actually I enjoy pretty much any holiday that gets me time off school.) Nonetheless Thanksgiving holds a special place in my heart as it is the one time of the year I feel absolutely no guilt about stuffing myself as full as I can possibly be.

I have my routine all laid out. The whole family always goes down to Austin because that is where my moms side of the family lives. On Thanksgiving morning I wake up early to drag whatever family members I have managed guilt into doing the Austin turkey trot downtown. There we line up with some 20,000 other runners to take part in the annual 5-mile run. After that we head back out to my grandparents ranch, tired, sweaty and satisfied. I then do my best to abstain from food the rest of the morning until it is time for the actual meal. Then unabated I go at the glorious feast laid out before me with a fervour normally reserved only for opening Christmas presents or perhaps chasing down a breakaway on my bike.

After this first round I go back for seconds, and sometimes thirds. (There's always room for ONE more roll right?) Dessert is somewhat an afterthought but eventually after everything has settled there may be some room at the time for a slice of pumpkin pie and whipped cream. The afternoon is reserved for sitting, napping, and watching the cowboys. Oh the glory. I can't wait.


On another note I did compete in a swim meet this last weekend. It was tough but fun. I swam the 1500m, 400m, 200m and 100m freestyle as well as the 100 IM. I can definitely still improve but it was good to get some time standards. I'm looking forward to doing some good training down in the Austin hills this week. AFTER I've recovered from my gluttonous Thanksgiving feast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving, Mark.