Friday, January 16, 2009

800's of Death



Wednesday's post had me a little beat up from a full day Tuesday. Thankfully, even though Thursday was exactly the same I don't feel nearly as battered today. I think the three keys for me this spring are going to be 1) DRINK WATER 2) make sure I fuel properly before and after workouts and 3) get enough sleep. If I can nail those three things I think my body will be able to handle the workload.


Funny story. Wednesday, all I had was a track workout, no biggie right? Just 4x800's with a 400 recovery jog. Based off my 1500m time I was told I was supposed to be running 2:21 for these 800's! You've got to be joking!?? I ran the first one in 2:31, the other guys were about 10sec off to. Sooo... after talking with the coach and hearing the formula that was used to establish these paces (1500m time divided by 2 minus 2 sec) we figured that maybe 2:31 was about right for an 800. I struggled through the next three going 2:33, 2:32, 2:32. And it took everything I had. Tough workout but I'm just out of shape from not running all break right? This morning I wake up to find an email from the coach apologizing and telling me that I was in fact supposed to be running 2:42 for the 800's! That definitely would have made the workout a lot easier. But hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?


We've got some 200's this afternoon. Hopefully they won't be on any sort of :28 interval.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Yeah, you know sleep and rest can be a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

Great story...Dad