Friday, May 25, 2007

Race Weekend

Well here it is again. That dreaded time all triathletes both anticipate and fear- Race Weekend. You set a goal and train for it. Day in, day out. At times it seems so far away that it couldn't possibly matter what you do at the present. Then at other times it seems so close, and you are motivated to get out and get the job done. Then one day you wake up and realize that it really is time. In just a few days everything you have done in preperation will be tested out on the course. Against the athletes and the elements. Are you ready?

Yup, thats whats going through my head right now. And frankly, I'm scared. I set a goal many months ago to claim one of the 2 spots offered to the 16-19 age group for the Sprint World Championships. USAT will take 20 athletes in that age group, 2 from each region. The qualifying race for the SouthMidWest region is the Capitol of Texas Sprint. This Monday. Memorial day. I always believed I could do it but lately I'm not so sure. Not sure if I've done the right training. Not sure if my conflicts with school and work and laziness have sapped to much of my fitness. Not sure if my allergies and subsequent asthma problems are going to inhibit my race day performance. Not sure if I'll have what it takes to measure up against the competition. But those are all just excuses, and I don't like excuses.

I've tried to become much more laid back about my training and racing lately. Get out there and have fun. I'm not a pro. Just an aspiring age grouper. I don't and can't eat, sleep, train like the pro's so why try to race like them? Get out there, don't stress, have fun, wear a speedo, whatever. So this weekend instead of fretting about Monday I'm gonna go race a 30min crit on Saturday. Don't take myself too seriously, thats what I've been trying to learn. I am pumped cause I just got my new Cervelo P2 SL last week. Its freakin fast compared to my old schwinn. I've go some sweet HED wheels that will help as well. tubulars you can pump up to 155 psi make a HUGE difference. Theres about 10 guys that could claim any of those 2 spots and many of them have beaten me before. I may qualify, I many not. But I will race my guts out, I will have fun, and I'll take whatever comes.

No comments: