Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Big Jump

2011 saw a lot of changes for and I made a lot of improvement. I never had a really, really big breakthrough race like I was hoping for but I had some solid, consistent performances. I never had a really bad race and I never had one that was really good. But that was my goal for the year- to race consistently. And I did that, all my Olympic distance races were within about 3min of each other. I was in really good form late in the season and eager to throw down a very quick race at the Toyota US Open but a flat tire derailed that attempt. Nonetheless, it was a good year and one that leaves me even hungrier for this year.

All that being said, in May last year at the Capitol of Texas Triathlon I placed 3rd overall amateur which qualified me to take my pro card should I choose to do so. Last year was too early and I chose to stay amateur for the rest of the year. However, after much reflection and talking with my coach I have decided to make the big jump and turn pro in 2012. A lot of people wait until they achieve a top 5 at Collegiate or Age Group Nationals and I haven't done that but I feel that, for me, what is going to motivate me to keep working hard is to make that jump. I learned a lot last year about training, consistency and just putting in the work. Moving to San Antonio last May has enabled me to work with my coach, Shelly O'Brien, full-time and that has helped me immensely.

I know that this year I will be at the complete bottom of the totem pole but... who cares? If I'm getting faster (and my goal is to get faster) then there is nothing like throwing yourself to the wolves and trying to survive. I'm the fittest I've ever been this time of year and immensely excited. Being a professional triathlete is something I've dreamed of for many years and now I finally am one! I'm not making any money yet and sponsors certainly aren't knocking at my door but I'll start at the bottom and work my way up. The way I see it is- I'm almost 23, I have a good 15-20 years of racing in front of me and if I can continue to improve that whole time who knows where I'll be at age 40? There's no time like the present so I'm going to take the opportunities I have and give it my best effort!


4 comments:

Jeff said...

good for you mark!

Wes Anderson said...

Mark, you're going to do great congrats on the big jump!

Anonymous said...

Cheering you on all the way! Covering you in prayer!

Mark Saroni said...

Thanks everyone!