Sunday, February 10, 2008

Breakthrough

AH YEAH!!

Ok so I'm a little stoked, to say the least. I had a pretty major breakthrough run workout yesterday. It's something I'm still trying to rationalize in my head how I did that. Lets go through a quick run down of the day-

7:30 am- Got to sleep in a little today as I was swimming later so it felt nice not having to get up super early.
9:00- Private lesson with a kid at the Tom Landry Center.
11:05- After driving around in circles I finally found a spot to park at SMU so I could go swim at their 50m outdoor pool. Im supposed to have a pass to park in this garage but its saturday so who cares right?
12:30- Good swim workout. Its kinda cool when you do 1 lap and thats already a 100 meters. Went and check out the meet going on inside. UT vs SMU and let me tell you: I've never seen lats that big on girls!! Found my car again and thankfully it was still there.
3:00- After going home, napping, and just chilling for a while it was time to get the real work done. First was a 1:30 ride. It went as follows:

10 min warmup
3x15 min in my 53x12 at 60-70 cadence with 5 min recovery in between.
2x3 min HAMMER! Max efforts with 3 min recovery.
20 min at zone 3 i.e. 22-24 mph.

Needless to say my legs were a little tired when I got off the bike but there was still a tough run to transition into.

I did:
20 min at Z4-Z5. This translated to me running 6:00 miles for 3.3 miles! Or 20 minutes. I've never done a workout like that in my life. I couldn't believe it as I hit the mile markers. Especially as I didn't feel like I was going that fast at all. My coach explained to me what she had changed up to result in such an improvement. Now it makes sense and I'm even more excited then ever.


Today was a longish run and even though my quads were pretty trashed and I didn't feel that great I still did 7:17 miles for the whole 9.7 miles on a hilly course.

If I could just get my swimming to improve like that I would be set.

Happy training to you.

No comments: