Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I Want To Be Like This Guy




Okay so maybe not quite. I have no aspirations of ever becoming anything like the swimmer that Michael Phelps is. However I do have the modest goal of improving my swim to the point where I can compete in a draft-legal triathlon. That is why yesterday I swam the most meterage I ever have in my life.


6200 meters. Not super impressive by Michael Phelps, high school, or professional triathlete standards, but for a young up and coming, used-to-not-be-a-very-good swimmer- its not to bad.

My first workout yesterday was at 6 am when I swam with the masters group. Then I came back in the afternoon to do another workout. I don't recall exactly what we did in the morning but Tuesday is stroke day so we did some stuff other then freestyle. afternoon workout was a-

200m warm up
5x100 pull with buoy and band. (Band is a sadistic training tool used to tie my legs together so I am not allowed to stabilize with any semblance of a kick)
5x200 on 3:00 (Actually had to take it up to 3:10)
400 swim with every 4th 25 fast
1k straight. This I did in around 15:55 or something. I was completely done after this.

Today I got up and swam again with masters and guess what? We had a main set of 5x200's!! Luckily we got a 3:20 interval for this one so I got some decent rest. My arms are still tired and I foresee a few weeks of this before my body can adapt to the higher volume of swimming.

So far I'm at 11,425m for the week (Don't ask about the 25) with another 2k swim planned this eveing. My goal is to get close to 20k before the race in galveston this Saturday.

Happy Training! :-)

No comments: