Monday, May 5, 2008

A Weekend to Remember

Had a great trip to Austin this last weekend to go Scuba diving. I've been taking the class since mid February and wasn't enjoying it much at all. The pool work, though necessary, was boring and the gear was uncomfortable. I'm not accustomed to swimming with 30 some odd pounds on my back and it wasn't a lot of fun. The dive trip however was awesome.

We did our dive in Lake Travis and I was signed up for the Saturday/Sunday dive with our first dive being at 1 pm on Saturday. Friday night Michael, and Ian (two good buddies) picked me up from work and we drove down to my grandparents ranch outside Dripping Springs a little west of Austin. The next morning it was a 45 minute drive to the dive site at Windy Point where where we arrived about 10 am. This was so we could do some good riding before hand in the Texas hill country. I swear we found some of the biggest hills in Texas.

The first two dives went well and it was a lot of fun doing it in a real environment with rocks and fish and murky water.

The next day we did some more skill work and then a deep dive to 60ft which was cool. I actually got to go to 60ft twice because my group was the last one and the instructor needed a buddy to go down and untie the rope the buoy was attached to. Its pretty cool how you can be down 60ft underwater, hooked up to all this gear but still perform tasks and maneuver around.

I tried to bike again after that and made it up one big hill with a super nasty grade but I was wiped and had to turn around.


In other news it looks like I'll be working with a group based in the Rockwall area to help prepare for Worlds. It's a team called Tri-ProSoap and though their real small they look like a bunch of guys. The guy who started the team actually has has my bio and stuff up on the website already and even created a neat little paypal link you can click on to donate funds. The amount is set at $60, or basically the registration cost for a sprint tri. Check out the site here

Tri-ProSoap

I'm still desperately trying to raise funds to go to Worlds on June 6th so I appreciate any and every little bit

No comments: