Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'm in Vancouver!

Travis, Shelly and I flew into Vancouver yesterday with no incident and were soon at our hotel which is right on the race site. We can literally look at our window and see the finish as well as most of the swim course. After putting our bikes together we did a pre-ride of the bike course which is a 7km loop we do 3 times. Theres a nice little 0.6mi climb we do on each loop followed by a 1-2 mi fast and somewhat scary downhill section.

The biggest news hear is the weather. Its in the mid 50's today and raining, raining, raining. We watched the junior elite races today and it was a blast to watch the super fast action without the crowds we experienced in Germany.

The water is an absolutely frigid 55 degrees. I thought Germany was cold last year at 61 or so but this takes cold to a whole new level. We did a swim today for about 5-10 minutes and though it is cold and your feet, hands, and face go numb in about 30 seconds- it is doable. My biggest problem was waiting for my face to numb because it hurts and stings intensely when you first put it in. 2XU brought in 40 neoprene caps to wear and thanks to Travis we got on the wait list about 20th or so before they came in. I just got back from picking it up and I think it will help keep me warm as well as some other tricks we plan on employing such as pouring warm water down the wetsuit and holding our pee until just before we go. Hey, anything to keep from going hypothermic.

Our race start is at 7:40 tomorrow pacific time and you should be able to track us live at triathlon.org. Send warm thoughts my way!!

No comments: