Wednesday, February 18, 2009

About That Hamstring...


Yeah, about that. Well after a nice recovery day Sunday I was hoping I'd be ready to go on Monday. Jogged to the track, hamstring felt fine. Did some drills and a building 400, hamstring felt fine. Our workout was 6x400 w/ my pace being :67 for the 400's. I did 3 but on each recovery lap I could feel my hamstring start to tighten up a little more each lap. It didn't bother me while I was running fast, couldn't feel a thing. But then as I'm jogging easy I'll feel it, right hamstring, down close behind my knee, kind of on the inside. Anyways, I didn't want to mess with such a big muscle group so I jogged back to the gym, (hamstring tightening up a little more as I went) got some ice and talked to the trainers.


When I got home I gave my awesome coach-who-is-not-really-coaching-me-right-now a call and she told me to back off because I'm basically overtrained. I'd already planned on taking it easier this week because I figured my body needed a break, but I guess this confirmed it. This is the stuff I know in my head, but is so hard to put into practice. I keep wanting to do more and more. I'm running better and better but sometimes I need to follow the same advice I give to people and just back off.


So I didn't run yesterday. I'm going in to get some treatment today then an easy run with some sidelines. Won't run tomorrow then I'll run a workout Friday and an easy 60-70 minutes on Saturday. (At least thats the plan.) I'll keep this week mid 20's as fast as mileage goes to give my legs a break. No strength and minimal cycling as well.


I can still swim though. 3900 yards Monday night, 3500 last night and 2600 at noon today. 10,000 yards for the week so far ain't to bad by my standards.

Next week should see my good as new, fresh, rested and raring to go! First track meet of the season at Texas A&M Commerce next Friday. I'm probably going to do the 3000m steeplechase and the 5000. Hopefully I'll be running fast!



1 comment:

William Ritter said...

good luck with your hamstring and the TAMUC meet.