Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 1

It's the first real day of training here in San Antonio and I'm pretty whupped. Spirits are still high but the body is tired. Maybe it was the 5:30 am wake up this morning that jolted my system a little.

I arrived yesterday afternoon at my host family's house. I knew them before I came down here from other races and their affiliation with are team but I was reminded again about how nice these people are. I have my own room with it's own entrance to the house. They have given me free reign of the pantry and fridge (uh oh, beware), my own bathroom and even a truck to drive!! In return I will be hanging out with their 2 kids, son who is 12 and does tri's and daughter, 7 who is working on getting the training wheels off her bike. :-)

Last night we went to a barbacue at the uncle's house which just happened to be right next to Tony Parker's place. Needless to say it was super nice.

This morning kicked off at 6am when I hit the gym with my coach and teammate, Hunter for some strength work. I need some work, it was mostly upper body stuff and I can tell I'll be sore tomorrow. I rushed home from that to to pick up the son and get to team gecko practice. This is the kids triathlon team I will be one of the head coach's for this summer. They meet 7:30-8:30 and it's quite a hoot.

After gecko's it was home to eat some breakfast then I met up with Hunter again for a tough run workout of 4x1mile hill repeats. We did not descend the set, we definitely ascended.

The rest of the day was spent napping and hanging with son, (who we shall call M from this point forward.)

The kids are at a swim meet right now so I am at a starbucks getting some studying done with Shelly's intern. The intern, Katie, is one of the other coach's, has no triathlon experience but is an exercise phys major and eager to learn.

Off to the pool now to get in a good swim with Hunter before bed and an early morning tomorrow. I'm going to try and keep this blog updated regularly so everyone can keep up with my goings on this summer.

Ciao

No comments: